This beautiful Baroque Palace on Moravian Square emerged from a previous Augustinian monastery from the 14th century, founded by the Margrave Jan Jindřich. It was mostly the work of architect Mauric Grimm in 1732 to 1741, who headed its Baroque reconstruction. The monastery was later elevated to an abbey. In 1783, however, the Augustinian order was dissolved by the reforms of Emperor Joseph II, the monks left, and authorities were moved into the vacated palace. After World War II it housed (until 1989) the Museum of the Brno Labor Movement, and now it serves as the Moravian Gallery (permanent exhibition of Gothic art, drawings, graphics, etc.).